Staying home & physical distancing are the best way to keep yourself and others safe from COVID-19. We understand that home-isolation can potentially lead to boredom so we’ve compiled a starting list of activities for young people to keep entertained & connected during this time.
CONNECT WITH FRIENDS & FAMILY
Even though physical distancing is needed to keep yourself & others safe, it is more important than ever to find ways of connecting with others. Reach out to family & friends through text, phone and video calling. The Houseparty app is one fun game and social networking app to stay connected to friends & family.
CHECK OUT THE MEDITATION BUZZ
GET CREATIVE WITH COOKING
Eat healthy & nutritious meals. This is a great time to learn how to cook healthy meals to keep your immune system up. Ask a parent or other adult in your home to teach you a recipe or get ideas from TV cooking shows. Some examples to get you started include:
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
- Check out art collections from around the world
- Make an animal or rock art or other craft idea at National Museum of Australia
- Learn Drama and Filmmaking at Shopfront Theatre online
- Draw or paint what you can see in your backyard, living room or find something online to draw
- Make a video or song on your phone
- Pick up some new dance moves with workshops on YouTube or put your favourite song on and dance freestyle in your room!
It is still important to stay active even when you can’t train with your usual sporting groups or go to the gym. Try to maintain an exercise schedule with the resources you have available. Do something you haven’t done for a long time & make sure you get some outside time. E.g. Make a handball court on your back porch, shoot some hoops at the old basketball ring at home, or find online activities like yoga or fitness workouts. Check out these ideas:
LOOK AFTER YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
- Talk to a trusted adult about how you are feeling, a parent or other family member, or an online or phone counselling service (there are lots out there!).
- Try an online meditation to relax your mind. – Headspace have great information to help you support your mental health during COVID-19 and an online web chat
- The Kidshelpline web chat has a feature to talk with someone online