Over 3,000 Australian employers were surveyed – find out what they’re looking for in a young person!
Employers said they look for:
- A positive attitude
- Motivation and enthusiasm
- Someone who is prepared to learn and take direction.
They also said that applicants need to:
- Be punctual and dependable
- Be respectfulto colleagues and customers
- Show a commitment to staying in the job for an acceptable period of time.
Employers also mentioned that some young people have unrealistic expectations of work, including:
- Being unprepared for the demands of the workplace
- The level of pay they would receive
- Wanting to start at the top instead of working their way up.
“Looking for work can be at times hard but try not to give up! The more you apply, the more you increase your chances. Always have a professional looking resume and cover letter, which Transition to Work (TTW) -Sutherland can help with. Our qualified and experienced Youth Support Workers can help you on your employment journey” – Tracey O’Rourke, TTW Coordinator
If you’re aged between 15-21, from the Sutherland area and have left school early or have had difficulty finding work, contact Tracey at firstname.lastname@example.org or dial (02) 9521 6531.